Food & Other Musings: But My Kids Won't Eat It

Saturday, January 29, 2011

But My Kids Won't Eat It

I hear this comment once in a while. While I think there are some things that are not desireable to a kiddos taste buds - I do think that we under-estimate what our kids will eat. If you've been feeding your kiddos preservative filled, high sodium, high sugar, artificially flavored and processed food their whole life, this is probably what they will want. Just like us - if we are accustomed to the taste of these things - it will take us a while to re-learn what REAL food tastes like and start to really enjoy it. So - start small. Make small and easy changes. Switch from Kraft Mac-N Cheese to Annie's Mac or Trader Joes Mac. These "natural" brands don't have artificial flavors, colors or MSG - and they are often made with organic ingredients.
In our house - we add frozen organic peas or broccoli and sometimes a can of Tongol Tuna (there is a reason for tongol - it has the lowest mercury levels of any canned tuna) This is by far my kids favorite lunch!
And then there's veggies - I've found that when my kids are the MOST hungry is the best time to give them veggies. Like just before dinner - I will put out some raw veggies with a bit of "DIP" as my little one calls it. I use some kind of home-made or store bought natural salad dressing. One of my kids faves is "Newmans Own" Balsalmic Vinegrette. Today - my son dipped his carrots in a mustard dressing I didn't think he would like - but then again, he always suprises me. He was "Drinking salsa" last time we went out for Mexcian food. . and he's not even 2. Go figure!

To the right is a pic of My little "educated" consumer)

2 comments:

  1. So....this little trick works not only with little kids...but big kids as well. Honesly, this is the only way I will eat peas. I hate them!! But the first time I had this little mixture at your place, I put on my game face and ate the peas. And it wasn't all that bad. Plenty of other flavors and textures to cover up the awful peas. :) Don't get me wrong....I won't be buying peas at all. Yup. Hate them that much. But, if they are served to me in mac & cheese, I'll eat them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun Ashley! Look forward to more great ideas to add to my repitore!
    thanks
    joy andrews

    ReplyDelete